Community Involvement and Activities
Kathleen has dedicated many hours of volunteer work to the Baton Rouge community:
- She currently serves as President of the Board of Directors of the Young Women’s Christian Association, better known as the YWCA. She is also a member of the Connections Committee of the YWCA and facilitates their monthly luncheon meetings.
- Kathleen has been a faithful volunteer for the Rape Crisis Center since 1998, serving as a hospital escort for rape victims. She also does personal outreach for the center by giving talks to various organizations on how to avoid becoming a victim of violent crime. A survivor of two physical attacks while out on her daily training run, Kathleen has personal experience that enables her to understand and help others avoid such situations. See her list of safety tips for women.
- Kathleen has teamed up with the YMCA (a different organization from the YWCA) to put on a series of seminars on women’s issues, including classes on personal safety, self defense, domestic violence, cyber-crime, club and date rape drugs, etc. These classes are free and open to the general public. For additional information, contact Ginger Ford at the YMCA at 924-3606.
In addition to the activities mentioned, a list of Kathleen’s past volunteer activities include:
- Member of the Board of Directors and of the Security and Preservation committees, Garden District Civic Association
- Chair, United Way Campaign, DHH Bureau of Legal Services
- Chair, Family Court March of Dimes WalkAmerica Campaign
- Volunteer Tutor, Operation Upgrade
- Coach and Fundraising Participant, Joints in Motion Program, Arthritis Foundation
- Chair, Class of 1967 University High School Reunion Committee
- Team Participation Coordinator, Baton Rouge Race for the Cure
- Parent Liaison, Episcopal High School Girls’ Cross Country Team
- Board of Directors, Club South Runners
- Volunteer, Senior Sports Classic, running events
- 1990 Appointed member, Governor’s Council for Physical Fitness and Sports
- Appointed member, LSU Landscape Architecture Department Advisory Board
Additionally, Kathleen has performed a variety of volunteer activities for various civic groups, including the Louisiana Arts and Science Center
(now called the Louisiana Arts and Science Museum), the American Red Cross
, the Baton Rouge Symphony Auxiliary
and the National Sports Festival