Kathleen has served the citizens of Baton Rouge in many ways throughout her entire adult life. Here is just a sample of some of the many contributions she has made to our community:
- Editor, “Gumbo Ya-Ya,” an electronic newsletter, which lists volunteer and event information and is sent to over 800 people in greater Baton Rouge area.
- Corporate Walk Chair, “Light the Night” Walk, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Volunteer, “Women Build” Project, Habitat for Humanity
- Member, Steering Committee, “Take Back the Night” March, Battered Women’s Program
- Member, Steering Committee, Louisiana Women Leaders Conference sponsored by Governor’s Office
- Member, Baton Rouge Tree and Landscape Commission (Appointed by Mayor Simpson)
- Since 1999, Kathleen has been presenting personal safety seminars at no charge to various civic and social groups. She continues to make herself available for large and small groups at no charge. Her presentation, which features a PowerPoint show and free handouts, usually lasts at least one hour, but she can often accommodate requests for shorter periods of time. Normally, a question and answer session follows each presentation.
( To schedule a personal safety seminar for your group, contact Kathleen
at 225-343-3483 or e-mail her at email@example.com. )
- Kathleen also served as an appointed member of the La. Sexual Assault Task Force, representing DHH Secretary Dr. Fred Cerise. She was appointed Chair of Working Group I, focusing on statutes governing sexual assault.
- Each fall, Kathleen is a contributing writer in the “Play It Safe” Supplement, Baton Rouge Journal
- Kathleen has received numerous awards and recognition for the time and service work she has contributed to our community:
- Award for Excellence in Community Service from The Daughters of the American Revolution
- Special recognition by Gov. Kathleen Blanco for Exemplary Community and Public Service by Civil Service Employees (one of only six statewide)
- Three-time nominee, YWCA Woman of Achievement award
- Recognition Award for Community Service, Office of Risk Management, Louisiana Division of Administration
- Safety Tips for Women
In conjunction with her many community service contributions, Kathleen has served in a variety of leadership positions. Among the most
- 2005 Graduate, Baton Rouge Area Chamber’s Leadership Greater Baton Rouge program
- YWCA, Board of Directors – President, 2006 – Present; Vice-President, 2005; Secretary, 2004.
- Rape Crisis Center Volunteer since 1998
- Women's Council of Greater Baton Rouge, Board of Directors
- American Association of University Women – Membership Vice-President, 2003-2004
- Qualified Participant, Boston Marathon: 1989,1990,1996